Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Success!


I did it!

After some mishaps in the kitchen surrounding my vegan chili mac, I finally fed it the fiance and he had NO idea that it was vegan. He in fact called it tasty, and took some to lunch today. Let me backtrack for a bit though and tell the cooking portion because at one point I thought I was going to have to scrap the dish and order pizza.

I went to the store around 4:00 yesterday knowing that I have about 30 minutes to get all my items and scurry home before the fiance returned from work. Normally, I would not worry about it, but I did not want him to see the large amounts of fake cheese and milk I was carting in the house because then he would know that something was up. I grabbed EVERYTHING I needed except for 1 onion. This is a key component to the dish so when I started cooking I had to improvise and threw in a bunch of garlic instead. The recipe then called for two cups of soy milk. I reached into my fridge and pulled out (GASP) VANILLA soy milk, not the most ideal for a chili mac recipe. By that time the fiance was home so there was no way I could send him out for plain soy milk, so I just added the vanilla and decided to double the cayenne pepper to neutralize the sweetness. In the end, after some extra soy cheese, it turned out well, but I need to pay more attention when shopping. I don't normally buy vegan food, so when I am haphazardly grabbing for items I should make sure they are exactly what I need.



Right now I am enjoying my SECOND vegan meal of the week - O'Soy Peach Yogurt for Breakfast & Coffee with Vanilla Soy Milk. Yum.



0 comments: