Monday, August 3, 2009

Tonight....Chili-Macaroni Bake

I might sound cruel, but I am planning to fool my fiance into eating vegan food. By making tasty food, with alternative meat and dairy, I am hoping I can fool him into eating (and loving) my vegan cooking. I know it is not the most honest thing to do, but I will tell him after he finishes his plate, I promise.

Tonight I am making Chili-Macaroni Bake from "Vegan Plant: 400 Irresistible Recipes with Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World". I have pilates tonight, so this is something simple I can make up quickly and throw in the oven. I am not sure if he is going to be on to my as Vegan Cheese is notorious for melting oddly (or not at all) but hopefully, he will be enamored with the taste that he won't notice.

The recipe is as follows:

12 ounces elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups soy milk or other dairy free milk heated
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup shreaded vegan cheddar cheese
2 cups vegetarian chilli

1. Cook the elbows in a bot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside. Preheat over to 375 degrees F.

2. Heat the olive oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the soy milk. Continue to cook stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Add the salt and cayenne.

3. In a large bowl, combine the sauce, pasta and a 1/2 cup of vegan cheese. Spoon into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and spread chili on top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the chili and bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

0 comments: